I/We apologize for not posting in quite awhile, but I'm happy to say that we've had quite a productive summer. :) I have thoroughly enjoyed this summer and anxiously await next summer.
Here's what we were up to these past few months:
My summer didn't "officially" start until June 11th, the day after my students had their last day at school. I had to go into work and finish packing up my room, complete end-of-year paperwork for each of my 21 students, and then work on things for the upcoming school year so this August wouldn't be so crazy, as it usually is.
During the summer, my high school graduating class had our 10 year reunion in June. I can't believe I graduated from Blue Valley High School in good 'ol Stanley, Kansas ten years ago. Good 'ol class of 1999! I didn't go to the reunion, as it was too far, but I did send in a photo and some information for a slide show that my classmates showed at the reunion.
Anyways, they sent the entire video back to me. It's cute!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEXXuNariCQ
Anyway, my first summer trip was to New Orleans, Louisiana with my mom and her sisters; my Aunt Darlene and my Aunt Laurie. It was a "Girls Only!" trip, and I was invited. I had never been to New Orleans before, and so I decided to go. I'm so glad I did too, as I had a great time.
All of us stayed in the French Quarter at the Dauphine Orleans hotel- which is actually the same hotel that my parents stayed at on their honeymoon! Pretty cool, huh?! It was a gorgeous hotel, and was convenient to everything in the French Quarter. It was a block away from Bourbon Street, which we went to every night. Loads of fun, but I will NEVER ever take our children there until they're 25!
The first day we were there, my mom and I actually got to New Orleans in the morning and met up with a friend of my mom's (a co-worker/friend) that is from there and is a Hurricane Katrina evacuee. Her name is Gloria. Gloria was like our little private tour guide, and showed us around the French Quarter before my Aunt Darlene and Aunt Laurie showed up. We walked past the Saint Louis Cathedral while we were touring, and even went inside. Wow! Talk about a gorgeous church! Stunning! I wish I went to church there!
Mom and I with the St. Louis Cathedral in the background. What a beautiful, peaceful church!
Later that day, we all met up with Gloria at our hotel for a mini "Happy Hour". Then we went out to Bourbon Street for the night.
Us in the hotel's bar, before heading out to Bourbon Street and the rest of the French Quarter.
(My mom, me, and my Aunt Darlene)

(Gloria, Aunt Darlene, me, my mom, and my Aunt Laurie)

A few shots of Bourbon Street...
Here is one with my Aunt Laurie and Aunt Darlene with a bouncer from one of the bars. He had this Mardi Gras necklace around his neck which we thought was funny.
During our visit to New Orleans, we went and ate at the famous Cafe du Monde, which was terrific. We drank cafe au lait and ate French beignets twice during our stay.
This is a night shot of the famous Cafe du Monde. I also bought a painting of the place because I loved its history and I absolutely LOVED the jazz player who would play jazz on his trumpet or saxophone every day.
This is a day shot of me at Cafe du Monde one morning. There was a long, long, long line for people trying to come in and get a table.
One day we stopped at this little grocery store and ate muffulettas. Those were so good! Hands down the best food I ate in New Orleans. I figured out the ingredients while I was there and made one for Jordan and I when I got back home. He really enjoyed it as well.

We also went to the famous Pat O'Briens for a "Hurricane". They were really good, but I think I've had stronger drinks while attending fraternity parties back in college. We got to take a picture of our bartender while we were there. I believe his name was Earl, and he was 8 years younger than me! I felt so old!!!!


Lastly, is a picture of me with my aunts at some oyster/seafood restaurant in New Orleans that apparently served the best Bloody Mary's. I also have a picture of my mom with her sisters. I don't really care for Bloody Mary's, so I settled for ice tea. It was funny though because it was 9 am when these pictures were taken! I don't even think I drank that early in college! My aunts and mom make me feel soooo uncool.

July:
Jordan and I went on a side-day-trip one Sunday to Occoneechee Speedway Trail in Hillsborough, NC. I took a few pictures of the old wall, the old race track, and mainly of this snake that I literally almost stepped on! FYI: Black Racer's/Black Rat Snake have great camouflage!
Charleston, SC
During the end of July, we went on a road trip to Charleston, SC. We left on Monday, July 27th and returned on Thursday, July 30th. We had a great time and both fell in love with the place.
We went to a lot of different places while we were there.
On Monday, we went to see the USS Yorktown and Fort Sumter.
USS Yorktown:
Ft. Sumter:
On Tuesday, we drove to Savannah, GA (only 2 hours away) to see some dear friends of ours: Brett and Ashley Henderson. Unfortunately, we did not get any pictures with them. Ashley is pregnant with their first child and is due in February. How exciting! While we were in Savannah we did stop and see the US Airforce Museum. We got a picture of the B-17. Very cool!
On Wednesday, we went to Boone Hall Plantation- which again, was BEAUTIFUL!!!! Here are a few photos of Boone Hall Plantation.
We spent a lot of time touring historic Charleston and saw many, many beautiful homes and buildings. We toured the Nathaniel Russell home and saw lots of beautiful gardens and peaceful cemetaries. Charleston is a gorgeous town!
Here is a picture of our hotel as well as a few pictures of the view from our hotel. Our hotel sat right up against Shem Creek, and the shrimp boats would come through there. So peaceful.
Anyways, we had a great time in Charleston and cannot wait to go back in December!
No comments:
Post a Comment