Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Wilmington, North Carolina: July 2008 Vacation!

We just got back from our 4-day stay in Wilmington, North Carolina at the family condo on Wrightsville Beach, and what a treat it was for us! We had terrific weather, wonderful company, and ate yummy food. I don't think life could have gotten any better!

I've decided to break down this blog into days. It is easier for me to give a summary and post pictures of what we did on each day, rather than give you a summary of everything we did and then post all the pictures we took together.

Day 1: Saturday, July 5th, 2008, Canoeing Trip & Fort Fisher Aquarium!

On this day we drove to Fort Fisher/Kure Beach, NC to do a canoe trip out to Zeke's Island. We got moving at 5:30am, so we could make it to Fort Fisher by 9:00am for the canoe trip. The activity is sponsored by the North Carolina Aquarium at Fort Fisher. In case you're ever interested the activity is called: CANOEING THE SALT MARSH, and it is a three- hour exploration of the Zeke’s Island Estuarine Research Reserve which you do by canoe. A couple of the activities may include crabbing, clamming, seining or birding. We got our own canoe and we were able to go crabbing and seining. It was a blast! We definitely recommend going. Here are the pictures from our canoe trip.

A picture of Zeke's Island from the shore of Fort Fisher.

Us (well me because Jordan is taking my picture) getting ready to head out on the canoe trip to Zeke's Island.

This is a picture of me guzzling down water, after we canoed in quite a head-wind. It was exhausting, but fun!

The canoes and kayak on the shore of Zeke's Island.

Jordan crabbing on Zeke's Island.

A picture of one of the crabs that we caught in our net.

Grrrr!!!!! I'm one tough crab!!

Getting ready to head back to Fort Fisher from Zeke's Island.


After the 3-hour canoe trip, Jordan and I went back to the NC Aquarium at Fort Fisher and looked around. It was very crowded, but we had a good time regardless. I love the aquarium! Here are a few fun pictures of our time there.

Jordan sticking his head in an alligator's mouth!



This is a picture of me sitting by the alligator exhibit. I'm not nervous. I just had to quickly get in and sit down in the middle of other families trying to get a picture by the alligators.




A picture of me with the lobsters. They were HUMONGOUS!!!!




A picture of the giant aquarium:



After we ended our tour of the NC Aquarium, we headed to the family condo on Wrightsville Beach in Wilmington, NC. Here is a picture of the condo.




Day 2: Sunday, July 6th, 2008, North Carolina Battleship!

On this day, Jordan and I went to go visit the North Carolina Battleship. We went in the morning, which was a good thing because there was hardly anyone there, and also it was a tad overcast and cool. It was fun exploring that gigantic ship! I'm so glad that I wasn't a sailor on that ship. I would have gotten confused as to how to get to all those rooms down below. I also think it would have gotten pretty hot inside that vessel. Jordan and I also went to the Battleship in the morning because our friends, the Martindales were coming that afternoon. Anyway, here are the pictures of our time at the North Carolina Battleship:




A picture of one of the propellers:

On deck, they had a Kingfisher airplane. They actually had two Kingfishers on board, and would launch them off and then fish them out of the water when they landed. They used them for various reasons. I knew my handsome pilot would want a picture of him standing next to one of those pretty planes.

Day 3: Monday, July 7th, 2008: Hangin' out at the condo, beach, and inlet at Wrightsville Beach:

In case you didn't catch what I had written out before, we had friends that were coming out to stay with us at the family beach condo on Sunday, July 6th and staying with us until Monday, July 7th. Our friends that came are the Martindales (Eric, Ashley, and their 10 and 1/2 month old son Caleb). We had quite a fun time with them. Caleb is such a well behaved baby. He seemed to be content with everything. Yeah-sometimes he would fuss a little, but not like most babies I know. The kid never threw a temper tantrum/screamed. Jordan and I were so impressed. Eric and Ashley make parenting look easy. I don't know if it's because they are terrific parents or if Caleb is just an amazingly good baby. We think it's both! We are pretty sure our future children will not be that easy to handle. Anyways, we all seemed to have a good time. We made it out to the beach a couple of times, played around in the pool, and grilled out. Those were the best meat and cheese burgers ever! (Jordan and I forgot to get lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, ketchup, and mustard for the burgers....we felt awful about it- but hey at least it was funny.)

Here is a picture of Ashley and I before we headed out to the beach for a girls-only sunbathing hour:

Later that day we all went out to the Inlet. It is unbelievably gorgeous out there! Hardly anyone is there and the beach looks very similar to the beaches in the Caribbean. I got a couple of pictures to show you how beautiful it is. The bottom picture shows a storm that barely missed us. It was creepy looking, but it didn't stop us from playing in the surf.

Day 4: Tuesday, July 8th, 2008: Back to Raleigh, North Carolina.

On this day we headed back to Raleigh. We were both bummed about leaving, but we were thankful that we had an enjoyable and most memorable time there. We love Wrightsville Beach! Having the Martindales there, made us excited to think about taking our future children there someday. We hope the family still has the beach condo, so we can take them there for a week or so.

That's all the pictures I am posting of our time in Wilmington, NC. I (Monica) am off to Longview, Texas tomorrow with my mom to see my brother. I will be back Tuesday of next week with hopefully some pictures of me, my brother, and my mom to share with y'all.

No comments: